When making a choice of where to buy an African Fat-tailed Gecko, you may be unsure if it’s better to purchase from a nearby breeder or online. There are pros and cons to consider for each choice. Since African Fat-Tail Geckos are not as widely-popular as the Leopard Fat-Tail Gecko, they are not readily available in many pet stores. This may change eventually, but for now, the main options are selecting a breeder or an online store. But which choice is best?
Each option takes a bit of research, but this article will help you to know where to start. We will discuss the benefits of purchasing your African Fat-Tail Gecko online instead of from a breeder.
Factors to take into consideration are the appearance and health of the gecko, upkeep of the habitat, selection available, as well as cost. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of each of these factors in relation to a breeder versus online.
Buying an African Fat-Tail Gecko From a Breeder
When buying from a breeder in person, the first step is locating one in your area. Since African Fat-tail Geckos aren’t as popular as leopard geckos, they won’t be readily available in typical pet stores. You may have some luck locating them at larger reptile expos, but a quick search online can locate one near you.
When selecting a local breeder to purchase from, there are some options to weigh:
- You can see the breeder in person. In-person contact will give you an immediate feeling of intuition of whether the person selling the gecko is trustworthy. Do they appear to know how to properly care for the animals? Does anything seem off or sketchy?
- You can check out the conditions of where the animals are kept. Do the other geckos and reptiles seem to be in good health? Are they in an adequate tank? Is the overall place kept clean?
- You can see the animals in person. Although photos offer a great look at the gecko in question, seeing your new pet in person is different. You can ask questions as they come up. Did seeing the geckos and the habitat spark questions you hadn’t thought of before? Now is the time to ask.
- The cost is usually higher. Because African Fat-tail geckos are becoming popular, but aren’t widely available in stores, breeders can charge a premium for the geckos they do have.
- They may be harder to locate. This goes along with the first downside. Because they aren’t widely available in stores, there may also not be breeders near you where you can go to make your purchase.
Buying an African Fat-Tail Gecko Online
As the popularity of African Fat-tail Geckos increase, online retailers for this pet have increased. You can do a quick online search to locate numerous places where you may purchase a gecko. They are shipped locally as well as internationally.
When choosing this option, there are some factors to consider as well:
- Video chat provides a close-up look. Technology nowadays provides as close to an in-person look of the gecko as possible. You can observe the energy, coloration, and overall health of the gecko before you move forward with the purchase.
- Guarantee of live delivery. When purchasing online, and with the help of next-day delivery, you will receive a guarantee of online delivery. Most stores will even show photography of how the geckos are shipped, as well as detailed information on the shipping process.
- Wider selection of morphs. Because online retailers have more flexibility and a wider range of customers, they tend to have a wider selection of morphs available. You can decide if your first choice is still your final choice after looking at the different ones available.
- You can get all items delivered at once. Typically, the place you are purchasing your new pet from also has all the items you will need to ensure the gecko is comfortable upon arrival. You can select all items at once, to be delivered conveniently to you.
- No first-hand contact. Although virtual calls are pretty darn close to being in-person, it still isn’t quite the same. And you won’t be able to pick up and handle the gecko until they arrive at your home.
- You have to find a reputable one. This will take some research into reviews and testimonials, and most likely some questioning back and forth with the owner. But you want to make sure the company is going to deliver a live and healthy animal, in addition to ethical treatment and breeding of the animals. Some reputable online sellers are listed below.
- There could be an issue with mishandling. Most companies I’ve seen display how the animals are shipped, with large clear labeling of “Live Animal” or similar printed on the box. However, once the package leaves their location it is up to the carrier to ensure proper care of the package. Due to mishandling, extreme weather conditions, or delays, there is the possibility that the gecko arrives dead.
Is it Better to Buy an African Fat-Tail Gecko from a Breeder or Online
This choice is one that comes down to personal preference, as well as availability. You may prefer to buy from a breeder, but find they don’t have the morph that you want. Selecting an online seller takes a bit of research, I personally recommend CBREPTILE.com.
Do African Fat tailed Geckos Make Good Pets?